Raegan is 4 months old!
This month has been extra fun! Raegan is developing the cutest personality. Almost everyone who meets her says, "She is so alert...she just sits back and observes..." She is...and she does...
I don't want to brag; All babies are precious and have their own little unique talents. But, I have to say that I agree with my friend, Dana, when she continues to tell me that she really thinks that Raegan has a "sweet spirit". That Dana is a smart girl. :)
Here are some of Raegan's new interests that have developed this past month:
One of the first things that happened this past month was Raegan rolling over. In fact, she did that on the 1st day of her 4 month of life. We were lucky enough to get it on camera.
(If I could, I'd like to throw out an all-inclusive disclaimer with videos that I post: Pay no attention to the mom behind the curtain. I do not look my best early in the morning.)
Recently, Raegan has fallen in love with a new toy. Chuck came home from work the other day with a little "Happy" for Raegan. (Does the shopping for your children instead of anyone else-including yourself-ever end? I love it.) The "Happy" was a cute little duck rattle. Thinking that she will enjoy playing with that when she's not interested in exerting too much energy, I add it to the basket of small toys in the living room. After a week or so, I notice that during our regular "toy rotation" (it's all about keeping her stimulated), she inevitably is entertained the most by the duck. And, it's not necessarily the rattle that she likes about it. She loves the beak...in her mouth.
mmmm.....
...tastes good...
Raegan continues to talk more and more. She loves when Chuck just sits and talks to her-she grins and talks back. Of course, I kiss all over her all the time...this gets her talking back too. Here is a sample of some chitter chatter a la Raegan:
Raegan is all about poking her little bottom lip out. I think it's cute. Chuck told me to enjoy it now, because in a few years-it won't be so cute anymore.
This past month, Raegan has also been entertained by the wildlife in our yard. (Yes, we still live 10-15 minutes from downtown Nashville-ha!) Her daddy often takes her outside to see the bunnies, chipmunks, and the newest addition: the hawk! Although she isn't really sure what she is looking at, our whole family is loving having our own little zoo in our yard!
Hey, Mr Bunny Rabbit!
Hello, Mr. Hawk!
(PS-The baby chipmunk was too quick to capture)
One "not so cute" interest that has come to fruition this past month is Raegan's newly acquired talent of "the squeal". It is loud. It is shrieky. And, if she weren't my baby, it would undoubtedly be annoying. I can't figure out if she just enjoys making the sound. Or, if her purpose is to get a reaction? "What to Expect the First Year" says that "During month 4, your baby may learn to squeal in delight". Squealing in delight is one thing (She does do that and it's quite...well...delightful), but the squealing I'm referring to is not in delight...it is 12.7 pounds of loudness. Here. See for yourself.
So, Raegan's been pretty much right on track with all of her milestones...Although, honestly, we haven't really focused too much on the timeframe for milestones. I promised myself that I wouldn't really obsess over if she is a little "later or earlier" than the standard for certain things as well as whether or not her weight/height is in a specific percentile. (I personally feel that all of that forces unnecessary comparisons.) If the Pediatrician says that she is normal and healthy, then we are good. However, one area that we have been waiting for but that she has been somewhat holding out on us is that of laughing out loud. For the obvious reasons, we are excited about this one. She gives us TONS of grins, open-mouth smiles, and happy sounds. But, she's slow to laugh. Maybe she is going to be like her mommy by not so much making a noise when she laughs, but shaking instead? Here is the closest we've come. She's such a little teaser. Maybe next month! :)
Speaking of milestones, Raegan has definitely mastered the art of gripping and holding onto things. This, of course, includes small toys as well as mommy's hair and jewelry. Bye, bye over-sized earrings. *Sniff*
Holding on tight!
I'm happy to announce that in addition to all of the other interests that Raegan has acquired this past month, her ability to sleep for long lengths of time is another one to add to the list. Her naps are still unpredictable in length...30 minutes here...2.5 hours there...even when put down at the same times every day. I can live with that, though, as long as she continues to sleep at least 7.5 - 8 hours straight-then, another 2.5-3 after she nurses. There have been many nights when she's stayed down for 10-11 hours as well. Can I get an "AMEN"?
Raegan loves to stand and look in the mirror...with some help from Mommy or Daddy, of course. She watches herself and giggles. She thinks she is so funny. We laugh at her while she laughs at herself. This is usually a little activity we all partake in while we are getting her bath ready. Oh yeah, did I mention that she is usually naked when she does this? This would be the reason that there is no photograph. I hate to expose her like that. :)
This past month has been full of play-time. Raegan continues to love to play. She definitely loves us to interact with and entertain her, but she is very content playing on her own as well. The former Recruiter in me likes to believe this is a sign of her future ability to "work well in a team or independently".
Exersaucer fun!
Cozy in my swing
Daddy is so strong!
I love blowing bubbles!
Watching Mommy cook
Okay...watching Mommy heat up oatmeal ;)
Still loving my Activity Mat...
And my fingers...
but not so much Tummy Time
Last but not least, I have to say that one of my favorite new things that Raegan has started doing is turning the pages of books while I read to her. Is that normal? Is she gifted? De De and Pop Pop say "definitely". ;) I'm teasing. Really, though. I think it's so cute. I honestly didn't think she was paying that much attention to the books as when I read to her at this point. She's usually starting to fight sleep a little bit. Little did I know, she was learning all along. Aww...our little "sponge". So, about 3 weeks ago, I had one of her little board books out reading to her and she reached up (with her left hand, might I add..."lefty"?) and worked really hard to grab the page and turn it. At first, I thought it was a fluke. Then, she did it again. Then, again. Then, again. Now, she does it almost every time I read to her. I love it. (Ps-if this is normal or if babies are supposed to start doing this, I don't know, way before 4 months old-please don't burst my bubble. I like to think of this as her first little special talent.) No picture of this yet. It's on the To Do list.
I can't believe it's possible, but I love her more and more every day. I love that she's her own person and I can hardly wait to learn what she enjoys for the many months to come.
Happy 4th Month, Bits! It's been a good one!
1 comment:
I LOVED this post!!! Jason and I watched every video. (yes, that's what you do when you are 40wks and have already walked the neighborhood once) His favorite was the pouty lip. He laughed so hard at that one.
We love Raegan!!!!
Post a Comment