Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 7 Months, Raegan!

Raegan is 7 months old!


I feel like this past month has flown by faster than any others so far.  Sniff...

We are loving the stage she's in.  I know that I say this every month, but her personality just keeps coming more and more to life.  It's so fun to watch and learn. 

Here are some highlights:

While Raegan can get to where she needs to go, she still isn't overly mobile.  She's not crawling but can definitely maneuver around.  The majority of her method incorporates "the roll".  With the sideways roll, a few corner rolls, a scoot here and there, and another roll or two-she reaches her destination.  I honestly have no idea when (or if) she'll start crawling.  While she has gotten on her knees and propped her little bottom in the air a few times, she's not really being overly aggressive with her attempts.  Who knows, she may go straight from rolling to walking.  Either way, rest assured that mommy is in no rush for her to meet either milestone.  I can only imagine how much our lives will change when she goes from being Pretty-Easy-to-Keep-Contained Raegan to Impossible-To-Keep-Up-With Raegan. 



Her technique in full effect
That's her...in the pink sweatpants...totally not on any of the matching (not so much) blankets that I so lovingly laid out for her to play on...

Raegan is still sleeping really well.  To backtrack, she has been "sleeping through the night" since she was about 2 1/2 months (7-8 hours). By about 5 months or so (I can't believe I'm already forgetting), she was sleeping around 10 hours a night. The changes, this past month, in her sleep habits have been #1-The amount she sleeps at night (a consistent 11 hours a night);  #2-The increased lengths in her naps.  (Nap-wise, she's at 3+ a day.  With her going to daycare 2.5 days a week, it's virtually impossible to get her on a strict nap schedule.  She does sleep at daycare, but she definitely naps better at home.) and finally, #3-the biggest accomplishment this month with Raegan's sleep is her increased ability to soothe herself...and to be able to do it so much faster.  Putting her down at night and for naps has become much, much easier.  This has completely changed my life. 


Here's our sweet little pumpkin post her morning nap:




Raegan has proven this past month to be a great eater!  There are very few foods that she won't eat.  Let me take that back, there are really no foods that she won't eat.  There are a few that she makes a face after her first one or two bites...but, she pretty much continues to eat it.  Also related to eating, Raegan's highchair finally came in after 3 months of waiting for it to be delivered.  Only challenge?  Getting her to sit in it for the entire meal. It's really hit-or-miss.


This day, the highchair was a hit


When it's not, we give in and put her back in the trusty Bumbo:


For some, this may be TMI, however I feel obligated to document what has been a huge hurdle for us this past month.  How can I put this?  Hmmmm....let's just say this...what goes in must come out.  While true, this concept can still be more difficult for some than others.  Raegan is one of those who is it definitely more difficult for.  I won't burden you with the details.  What I will say is this-it doesn't take much.  Believe me, more often than not, even with following "the rules, she ends up "stopped up".  And, I'm not just talking about her being uncomfortable.  She is flat-out miserable....screaming...pain...etc.  Breaks mommy and daddy's hearts.  So, as much as she LOVES bananas, apples, and even rice cereal-these may forever be given in low quantities to Bits.  It's just not worth it.  Bless her...


A frozen banana inside.  She LOVED it. 
Little did she (or I) know that she was well on her way to her first experience with major constipation....

So, as a result of the above, we've been advised to give her a small amount of juice and water on a daily basis.  SHE LOVES THIS.  As soon as she sees me pouring the juice, she immediately starts panting and cupping her lips like a little birdie.  


Give me, give me, give me

Awww...one of my favorite new things-she is snuggling lots more.  She used to only want to be held while facing outward.  Now, she allows us to prop her up on one of our hips.  It doesn't take long for her to be in this position before she throws her little arms around me and buries her head into the nape of my neck. If I'm lucky, I'll also get a few open mouth kisses on the side of my face.  Heaven...

Another new little tidbit-She's loving all things "giraffe" lately.  Perhaps it's the long neck (easy to grasp), or the horns (fun to put in mouth), or the stimulating spots all over their bodies.  Whatever it is, it's so cute to see her recognize one. 

Have you met my little giraffe?



Another fun aspect of playtime with Raegan is her excitement over having toys shaken in front of her.  Seems simple, but I can't get enough of her flailing her
arms and her sweet babble when her daddy shakes one of her toys and teases her with it. 

Playing:
(pls excuse her outfit...or lack there of...)



Overall, playtime is more fun than ever. I constantly have a huge (tacky) pallet in the floor in living room where we spend at least 3 hours a day. She loves her giraffes, her ball that rolls on its own, her "shapes" turtle, her new "Around We Go" toy, and of course, as always, her fingers...


My turtle with lots of fun shapes!


Chewing on the purple star.


This was a new toy introduction this past month.
I am pretty sure that this was the last smile I saw on her face while playing in this thing.
The jumper-not a favorite at our house...not yet anyway


Meanwhile-does anyone else want to chew on these little feet?
 


My fingers....mmmm....


Oh-is this a new toy for me?  I haven't noticed...

Personality-wise, Raegan definitely smiles, coos, laughs-but we've noticed lately that she's much more chilled out and less silly than a lot of other babies. She's like her daddy in this aspect.  She spends a lot of time focusing and taking it all in.  There are certain things that prompt a smile.  Like: if you say, "heeeeyyyy" and smile really big at her, or if you sing one of her favorite songs ("Itsy Bitsy Spider" or "If You're Happy and You Know It"), or if you happen to be Chuck Ransom and just walk into a room. :)


Spish, Spish!

She's waving.  So cute.  The funniest part is that a lot of the times when she waves, it's rarely in the correct context of a situation.  Examples?  When she is being dried off after a bath, she will wave with both hands...translation: "Daddy, it's cold.  Please get my sleep sack on me asap."  She also waves her hands when she wants more food...translation: "Mommy, I know you're trying to get me to sign 'more' but I don't have the time. I'm hungry." And, the cutest is when she turns her little chubby hand towards herself and waves...translation: None.  Just pure, pure cuteness. 

Here's my attempt at capturing one wave within context. 
Keep your eye on her left hand. 
Don't blink:



The gibberish continues.  Her newest thing is spitting when she tries to talk.  It's like she is trying to say something and her mouth naturally forms to the position where her tongue is between her lips.  This is typically accompanied by a smile.  She may have me fooled (no comments, please), but I don't think she is trying to spit.  I think she is actually trying to say something and that her lips end up in this position.  As far as an update on her saying actual words, the verdict is still out.  Or is it?  Here, I'll let you judge for yourself:

Take 1:



Take 2:


Take 3:



Several other quick highlights:

  • Great at sitting up.  Sits and plays for long periods of time.
  • Pays much more attention to Gabby.  Reaches out and wants to pet and touch her. 
  • Still loves her bath.  I mean LOVES her bath.  Can be completely exhausted and having a major meltdown-as soon as you dip her toes in the water-a smile almost always erupts. And, if that doesn't do the trick, the first tune of her bath-time song inevitably puts a smile on her face.
  • Reaches for people more.
  • Weighs 15 1/2 pounds. 
  • Can still fit into some 3-6 month clothes (mostly shirts and onesies...really nothing with pants-her legs are pretty long) but she's mainly wearing straight-up 6 months
  • Just now out of size 1 diapers.  (She probably could have moved up sooner, but due to our Size 1 surplus-thank you, coupons)-we made the 1's work a little longer.
  • Is the absolute love of our lives.
Happy 7 Months, Little One!

Is it horrible that I'm already overly anxious about Christmas?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kami - so precious! It does go fast - actually too fast!

Danielle said...

She is so cute! Love the update. My sweet girl has the same issue with being stopped up and I had to give her prunes at least once a day and it did the trick at least for us!