Saturday, October 17, 2009

Look Who Has Been in the Kitchen!

So, for all of you who really know me know that I've never been one for cooking a whole lot. I'm not going to make excuses...but, after much thought on why I think this is, here is what I've come up with:

#1-I hate a mess. I especially hate a messy kitchen. And while this is going to sound completely nutty, even though I clean while I cook, things are still "messy" when the meal is finally ready. So the story goes--While I sit and eat, I can't help but think about the dishes and kitchen that I have to clean once the meal is over. I know why I'm like this. And, I am getting better. It still, though, contributes to my lack of interest in cooking.

#2-As mentioned in previous blogs, I am totally left-brained. I am also a believer that really good cooks...REALLY good ones (like my Aunt Brenda and my sister-in-law) are much more right-brained. There's a lot to be said for creativity in the kitchen. People like me are recipe followers. I can make pretty much anything by following a recipe. I simply follow the directions. But, what's the fun in that?


#3-In the past, when I worked full-time, I honestly had no desire to muster up the energy to come home from a 10 hour work day and whip up a meal. And, Chuck did not mind. (Really, he didn't. He does not mind that I don't cook.) Besides, it was much healthier for our marriage if we had a few hours to actually spend with one another than actually slaving in the kitchen, only to eat around 8:30, clean up, and crawl into bed without spending much time together.
Oh, how things change...

Now, we have a little one to care for...and now, (especially with me only working part-time and having extra expenses with a baby) we need to save more money....and now, we are definitely more health-conscious than ever.


As a result, I am cooking more---for Chuck and me AND for Raegan. For mine and Chuck's meals, it's definitely a team effort. I would say that, on average, we cook our own dinners 4 nights out of the week. I use the term "cook" loosely. Typically, a meal includes some sort of lean meat or fish on the grill, a healthy side, and a salad. So, in the end, I'm only having to manage 2 items. Plus, with Chuck cooking the meat, the messiness in the kitchen is cut in half. It's all been a very positive experience.
Onto the babyfood---


Making Raegan's baby food was a non-negotiable for me. I knew that I wanted to do this waaaaaaayyyyy before it was the "cool thing to do". My mom made mine and my brother's baby food. I have always found this completely endearing. So, from early on, I've wanted to do the same thing. Why not? I don't work full-time so I have some time on my hands. Plus, it's healthy.  So, there ya have it.


There are a handful of other moms I've talked to who are doing or are planning to do the same thing. We are all in touch and have plans to get together and have Baby food Preparation Gatherings. A little chopping, steaming, pureeing, freezing, and socializing all in one. Very exciting. :)


Before getting into the preparation of the foods, here's a rundown on the end results and Raegan's reactions so far.



-Sweet Potatoes: Didn't like them the first time, second time, or third time. Gagged until the fourth time. Buuuuutttt, persistence pays off. She's liking them now.
-Apples: Made faces, but still cleaned her plate the first time...and continues to.
-Green Beans: LOVED them the first time--probably more than she's liked any other first food. (I was totally shocked by this one.)
-Pears: Did NOT like them at first. (Shocked by this one too.) Beyond faces...gagging...lots of gagging...she continued to spit them out unless I mixed them with rice cereal. I think it may have been the texture. After pureeing them a little more smoothly-she loved them. Not sure if it was the smoother texture or just continuing to offer them that caused success. Either way, we'll take it.
-Oatmeal: Liked the first time. Really likes it little warm with some fruit puree mixed in.
-Bananas: Ate half of a banana the very first time. Loved!





And...for the preparation:


Supplies washed and ready


First up-sweet potatoes. Peeling and dicing was tedious...looking back-probably not a good one to start with


Steam steam steam


Final product


You should have seen me walking around the produce section looking for this. Apparently, this is what a butternut squash looks like


Prior to the fun of scooping out the seeds


Baked and ready to be pureed. (This is the only food that I opted to bake instead of steam.)


Voila!


Next: Carrots. (Yes, you are reading the label correctly. "Organic" ....I know....I know...)


The consistency wasn't as appetizing as others. I may be adding some breast milk to these once defrosted...mmmmm...


Suprisingly enough, I am enjoying the whole process. I even have a calendar for when we will be introducing what meals to Raegan. (Shocking, I know.) It really makes it easier for preparation-purposes. And, who am I kidding? I love a good plan.


Tune in next time as we discuss Raegan's reactions to the upcoming items on the menu:


-Butternut Squash
-Avocado
-Carrots
-Various other fruits and veggies, whole grain cereal, and meat. (I'm not going to lie. The thought of pureeing meat kind of grosses me out. But, anything for you, Bitsy! Anything for you! )


Yours Truly,
Paula Deen

No comments: