Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SYTYCD!

For all of those who don't know what the acronym in the posting title stands for-you must tune into Fox tonight at 7pm CST to find out. My friends are acutely aware of the obsession that I have for the show, "So You Think You Can Dance". I know, I know-television is flooded with reality tv shows. Most, I am not a fan of. Ok, well some, I am. But, for the most part, it includes only the reality shows that are based on talent. (Or, I don't know, a bunch of Hollywood Hills 20-somethings living it up on daddy's dime and creating drama all over the place) Anyway, the shows based on talent: What better way to utilize the reality tv show craze than to use it to discover raw talent? American Idol and SYTYCD share the same producers. Hence, the level of talent is equivalent in their respective areas.

(PS-I don't agree with the public voting on SYTYCD. But, that's a whole other posting in itself...)

Now, please don't confuse this show with Dancing With The Stars. SYTYCD doesn't train you for 5 minutes on how to dance and then let you perform on national television through the guidance of a professional dancer. What the show does do, however, is challenge each dancer by introducing brand new genres than what their original forte is. Typically, in dance, you are either a Jack of All Trades and Master of None or you are a Master of One Trade and no others. The dancers on this show are so good, that they are able to be introduced new genres and master them in a week...literally. (Example of a hip hop dancer doing a contemporary routine) One word: Talent.

I can't even go into all of my thoughts on the show (there are just too many)-but, let me say this: I think it's phenomenal that there is a show for dancers to showcase their talent. There is not a huge number of opportunities for dancers. In addition, it has a short lifespan in the art.

The level of talent out there is unreal. And, most of those who are just that, unreal, are jobless or are dancing, yet broke! I have friends I've danced with who went on to be back up dancers for stars as big as Christina Aguilera and Will Smith (in his "Welcome to Miami" days)-and, I'm here to tell you-that job is no glory and no money. Is that really fair? When the best of the best at a "sport" are either A-jobless or B-poor b/c they are making no money playing their sport? Especially when there are football players making millions upon millions each year? There are so many less opportunities for the best of the best in dance.

SYTYCD hasn't completely turned that around, but it's helped. There are a vast amount of dancers from the show who have gone on to have lucrative jobs in choreography (I love you Travis Wall) as well as jobs on Dancing With the Stars as professional dancers (not glamorous, but-hey-it's a job doing what they love. Chelsea Hightower, you are my hero!), and even roles in films (lead role in the new movie, Fame: Kherington Payne-bravo!).

Now that I've dorked out, let me tell you where this passion is coming from. I am an old soul when it comes to dance and performing. It was literally my life as a child and all the way through college...well, the summers in college. I'm certainly not tooting my own horn. Let it be known that my biggest failure in life was when I did not make UT Knoxville's dance team/pom squad. I didn't even consider going to a different school in the SEC where I could have gotten almost a full scholarship to dance-no, I would like to try out for the nationally acclaimed UT Dance Team. (Who, by the way, just won their third consecutive national title this year). It was the first time that I tried out for something and didn't make it. Talk about humbling. The worst part? I made the top 18. 16 made the squad. For the record, I totally didn't deserve to make it. These girls were much much more talented than I was. Either way, while it was a blessing in disguise (can you really see me getting up at 5:15am each morning in college and working at? No, thanks. I'd rather be sleeping in my extra long twin-size bed.)-I still would have loved an opportunity to partake in my favorite hobby besides teaching and judging with UDA and directing Carnicus for my sorority. However, there were no opportunities. So, now, you are left with the baggage of that. I must have something to fill that void. Thank you, So You Think You Can Dance. So, I need an outlet in which I can talk about it, analyze it, make predictions, etc. In lieu of driving my friends crazy with individual discussions, I'm opting to blog about it. Brilliant! Thank you, Rhondi, for inspiring me! Rhondi Cissell (see blog list to the left) debriefs on American Idol every week. While I will not be as witty or entertaining as her, I'm following her lead. It will begin once the top 20 are chosen, tune in!

For those who also love dance and the show (you know who you are)-please feel free to leave comments on the blog with your thoughts as well. I hope you enjoy! I will undoubtedly get on the nerves of anyone who doesn't share the same enthusiasm for dance. To you, I'd like to apologize in advance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said!!! i totally agree on all points, EXCEPT... that you DID deserve one of the top 16 spots on UT dance!!!!!

Courtney and Jason G. said...

omg. i cannot wait to eat up the DVR with this season. from tryouts to finale- i love you tyce.

Tyce Goolsby? too much?