Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Happy 1 Month, Raegan!


Raegan is 1 month old today!




Time is already flying! Here are some highlights from her first year of life: (If it annoys you to hear parents talk about their babies, then refrain from reading this, along with any other future blogs :) I'm probably not going to share this stuff with you in person so if you know about it, you've read at your own risk. Don't say I didn't warn you!) Personality-wise:
  • First of all, Raegan stretches ALL THE TIME...especially while napping. Chuck said that she acts like a teenager. Picture it: Dramatic------Streeeetttttccchhhhhhh.....as if to say, "Whew, life is tough." The best part about her stretching is the sound that she makes (even in the middle of the night). It is literally that of an elephant. That's right. A large, loud elephant. Interestingly enough, Raegan weighs around 8 pounds.
  • Also, she loves to have her legs crossed. (Think indian style.) I guess she spent some time like this in the womb. No matter what position she's in or where she is, 90% of the time, her little feet are crossed over one another. It's just too cute.
  • One of my favorites: She makes this funny face when she's done nursing. Lips pursed, eyes closed, eyebrows raised. Translation: "I'm done. You can take your boob back now." Then she smacks her lips (still in the pursed position) as if to say, "Mmmmm...that milk is good stuff." Awwww....
  • And, we know all babies do this, but of course, we love it when she does it too--the yawn. The sweet little yawn. Oh, how cute she looks when she yawns. But, you better catch her before she reaches her third or it's going to be a long night.
  • Another thing we love is how she suckles on nothing. You know what I'm talking about...the tongue is actively going in and out of her mouth. At times, I delay giving her the paci to just watch her to do this. Precious.
  • Finally, my favorite-she does this thing when she sneezes. Sneeze, Sneeze, and then, it's like she thinks she's going to sneeze again but she doesn't so she lets out this big SSSIIIIIIGGGHHH.
Some funny moments:
  • I think it was the third day that we were home. It's the middle of the night right after a feeding. I asked Chuck if I could pass her to him to have him burp her. This is how it went down: "Here, babe, can you burp her?" "Sure" I hand Raegan to him. He looks at me and mutters, "Um". I have no idea what he's trying to communicate. He mutters it again but, this time, he does it while looking down at Raegan and back at me, then down at Raegan and back at me. OH. MY. GOSH. Baby poop all over Chuck's hands, Raegan, and the Boppy. I mean-ALL OVER. It's everywhere. (And, this is probably TMI, but this was during what "What to Expect the First Years" refers to as the "brown battery phase".) If you know Chuck, this was funnier than you can imagine. I'm pretty sure he and I had never talked about poop much less had it between us. It was seriously difficult not to laugh. Lesson learned: tighten the diaper-it won't hurt her.
  • Chuck is changing Raegan's diaper. I'm in the living room. I hear, "KAMI! Can you please come help me?!?!?" I race to the changing table only to find Chuck, the changing pad cover, and Raegan DRENCHED. Chuck did not think that this was very "ladylike". Lesson learned: Purchase more lappads.
  • Along the same lines, Raegan's first sponge bath. We are following what were explained as "simple instructions" in our childcare class and giving Raegan a sponge bath. I'm manning the washcloth. Chuck is holding Raegan. It comes time to wash her little bottom. Diaper off. Raegan's bottom in Chuck's hand. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Chuck: DRENCHED.....again.
  • As much as I hate to admit it, there is the slightest change that Raegan may be just a little bit high maintenance when it comes to her surroundings. For one, she HATES the light. Don't even think about turning the overhead lights on in the house. Moreover, forget taking her outside! The best was when my friend, Scarlett, came over and we took Raegan outside. She immediately grunted and shaded her face. Hysterical.
You live and you learn... Looking forward to seeing what's in store this second month! Happy 1 month, Raegan! We love you so much!

4 comments:

Rhondi said...

Happy One-Month Sweet Raegan!
xoxo

Jennifer said...

Love the poop story!!!

Courtney and Jason G. said...

haha....hold on world- there's another mini kami coming...

HKM said...

She is just precious! I wanted to leave you a comment about the Groggy in Green Hills...I'll send you an email instead. :) It's so great that you are documenting all these things. You think you won't forget and then you do.