It is with a bittersweet heart that I share the following news: Raegan has graduated from sleeping in mommy and daddy's room and is officially in her nursery.
I realize that the last time I blogged about Raegan's sleep habits (or lack there of), I revealed that it was virtually impossible to get her to sleep on her back. I will save you the details and simply say-we've been to the moon and back again with where she sleeps. T
here has been little to no consistency with this and I have to say-it's really not healthy for my OCD. Can we get some kind of system here? So, my mom (AKA "De De"), graciously came into town to lend a hand for a few days this week. During her stay, she got to witness the fickle, little baby girl as we would try to get her to sleep.
At one point, fairly late at night, I decided to give Raegan a little change of scenery, and to give Daddy a little sleep, so I ventured upstairs. Mom joined me in the nursery. We sang to her together, rocked her, etc. After she was calm (and we were exhausted), we laid Raegan down in her crib, just for fun. You know. Like, "let's see how long it takes her to cry". (I'm a mean, mean mommy.) Meanwhile, mom and I talk. As we're shootin' the breeze in our pajamas, we both realize that there is no crying. There is no "Get me out of here and put me back in my carseat where I belong!" Raegan is SOUND asleep. I mean it. Sound asleep. Mom looks at me and says, "um, what are you going to do now?" Uh....simple. "Looks like we are sleeping in the nursery tonight." (And, yes, you read that correctly: I said "we".)
That night, I got the best sleep I've had since Raegan graced us with her presence. And, that's a big deal, b/c I was sleeping in the floor right beside her! (No comments, please.) F
ast forward 24 hours: Last night was her second night in her crib. I regret to tell you that it wasn't as smooth sailing as the night before. (Why does everything seem to work with newborns once and then you're back to square 1? STINKERS!)
All of that said, it was still "ok" and we did get some sleep. I only slept half the night in the floor. :) (I know-you're so proud of me for being so good at letting go....) Anyway, I feel like since we've made that transition to the crib, we might as well stick with it. There's no sense in going back and forth right?
So, in the words of Raegan-"Bye Bye, Carseat, Swing, Moses Basket, and Cradle. Hello, Crib"
While this may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, for some reason, it caused a few tears in my eyes. Yes, it had a little to do with my dread in having to make that hike all the way upstairs to her room each time I have to nurse her at night. (I told you, mean, mean mommy.)
In all seriousness, I think it was b/c I wasn't necessarily ready for her to make this transition just yet. I can't help but feel that it's somewhat symbolic of her needing us less and less as she grows up.
Can you imagine what her first day of kindergarden will be like?
Heaven help me.
2 comments:
I have never been ready for the transitions my kids are ready to make. But I have to embrace the fact that they are ready and find some comfort in their ability to do it on their own. It's never easy. And doesn't get any easier, at least it hasn't for me.
Girl I have preayed everynight since we got home that Kennedy doesn't change...she has stayed in her crib. The only thing is she likes to be propped up..so I put the boppy in there and she is snug as a bug. She doens't like the flat on the back thing either. I really thought things would be bad when she is like the only little baby that got BROUGHT back from the nursery one night because she wouldn't settle down! I'll be thinking about you.
Post a Comment