Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Groggy in Green Hills


When you're pregnant and other parents warn you about getting no sleep when you have a newborn....well...um.........they aren't kidding. (I say this with a smile on my face...that is...my delirious face.)

Oh, how I miss my 8 (okay, 9) hours of sleep at night. But, I love this sweet little Butterbean even more. And the sacrifices begin...

Let me say this: I had in my mind exactly what kind of mom I would be when it came to sleeping. Consistent (putting baby down in one main place at naptime and bedtime); Erroring more on the side of letting baby cry it out rather than rushing to pick her up every time she whimpers (being loving, yet teaching her to fall asleep on her own); and, finally, no "Sleep Props" (creating habits of dependencies to help her to fall asleep. To name a few: rocking, giving her a pacifier, etc); The intentions were there.

And, I really tried all of the above for about a week and a half. But, the fact is, this is survival mode, everybody. After 4 nights of sleep deprivation, even I recognize that it's time to try a new tactic. As we all know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. When your husband looks at you at 3am and reminds you of this, you put the Baby Wise book away and oblige.

The one thing that I will say that I have not hung my head in defeat on just yet is that I'm not rushing to pick her up at the slightest sign of a whimper. Don't get me wrong, there is no "crying it out" in the Ransom home; however, I'm really trying to pay attention to the cry and see if she can settle herself down before mommy comes to her rescue.

This, my friends, is the first time in my life where I'm practicing an approach often referred to as MODERATION. Be proud, very proud. What, do you ask, have I done to break my own rules that I set out for myself?

Well, for one, I'm entirely inconsistent on where I put her down for naps. My justification is that I'm teaching her to be flexible. Flexibility is important, right? When we travel, she won't have her comfy crib...so, why not let her sleep in various places to get "used to" sleeping in various places? Forget it. Rationalization is pathetic. What can I say? The little peanut is fickle about where she sleeps. To be fair, the nursery at the hospital warned us of this before we were discharged..."While all the other babies in the nursery are sleeping, yours is being held. We think she's one of those babies who is going to want to be held all the time." Understatement. Not only does she want to be held. But, she refuses to sleep anywhere while lying on her back. Case in point:

Cradle, Moses Basket, or anywhere flat on back:
WIDE awake
Swing: zzzzzzz....
CarSeat: seeeepy

Bouncy Seat: she's out!
(oh, and is that a pacifier in her mouth? Rule #3: broken)

In Mommy or Daddy's arms: ahhh...

Check out the close-up. Not even in a comfortable position and STILL asleep:

Daddy's Chest: "This is the life"
Oh, and the other areas where I had I strong feelings related to sleep? No "props"...example: Rocking to sleep:
Ooops.
Although, I'd like a "take back" on this one because, I just really don't think it's right to feel guilty about this one. It's one of my favorite things to do with her. Raegan's favorite songs? Do you Know the Muffin Man, Jesus Loves Me, and Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Beyond the lack of sleep, things are going great! Still trying to get this nursing thing down (which, oh by the way, is the other place that Raegan loves falling asleep). We are loving getting to know her and watching her grow every day. She is so sweet and so funny.

I definitely have lots to share...that's another blog update in itself. It's so hard to believe that we brought this little one into the world. We feel so blessed.

By the way, if you've called/emailed and haven't heard back from me-please know that it's a result of my trying to learn how to balance all of "this". I've certainly not conquered how to have a social life and a baby. Believe me, we'll be working on that one. :)

To close, and keeping in with the theme of sleep, the four-legged girl in our family has had NO trouble sleeping....and, um, yes, that's a Boppy (nursing pillow) that she is curled up on. Comical.
If you need to find me, chances are-I'll be nursing. That's right, people, I'm a milk machine....and, loving every minute.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm trying to enjoy every moment of rest that I can. I'm trying not to feel guilty about naps on Saturdays and Sundays because I know they are about to be few and far between! You look fabulous!
And girl - found out about the Sarna lotion this past Sunday (thanks to facebook) and it's a miracle lotion! Right after the shower - it's like puring ice in my blood! I LOVE IT!

Courtney said...

Girl, rules are for the birds. Every family is different. I have a hard time believing one book can work for everyone! So, I wouldn't stress too much over it.

I will say, my little Clinton can sleep anywhere and through anything! There's a lot of freedom to be gained for you with a "flexible" baby!

It takes a while to make that adjustment to having a little one, but it's doable and then you wonder how you ever lived without them!

Looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your sweet girl.

Kelly said...

Cade was the exact same way. And I, like you, needed survival mode to be able to function!

Rhondi said...

Oh Kami, she's just such a doll! It sounds like you're doing great!
xoxo