So, we had our 16 week gestation Dr visit this morning. The appt went well. We heard the heartbeat again!!
Just to give you an insight on how comedic our Dr is: When he heard the heartbeat, he looked at me and said, "Well, you're pregnant." Keep in mind, he already said this the last time we heard the heartbeat. Not to mention the fact that he obviously told us this on our first appointment. Dr Wingo likes to joke a lot. Quite honestly, he is pretty funny. I've been going to him for about 5 years. He was wonderful with me when I was going through all of my health "issues". He ran a variety of tests (in his realm as an OBGYN-tested my hormones, thyroid, etc). He's been really supportive and positive throughout the last several years. He actually told me about a year ago, "Just get pregnant. You have been tested for anything chronic so it would be no harm to a baby. Plus, pregnancy has a way of 'evening things out for women.'" Chuck and I are both big fans of Dr Wingo....
Back to the heartbeat-it was 148 beats per minute this time. Chuck ventured out and asked if that was indicative of whether or not it's a boy or a girl. Wingo's response? "Yep! It's definitely either a boy or a girl!" Awww...witty Wingo. This appt was also the appt where we were offered to have an optional screening test to detect several different potential abnormalities with the baby (including Downs Syndrome). Obviously, whether or not to pursue this test is a very personal choice. I know a lot of women who have gone through the test and I some who haven't. After much deliberation over this, Chuck and I opted not to have this screening test done. Studies have shown a high probability for the results to come back with a "false positive". In order to validate whether it's a false positive or not, I would have to go through an additional procedure. This additional procedure is risky to the baby. Our philosophy was-if it comes back positive, we wouldn't move forward with the subsequent, risky test; therefore, why would we want to go through the rest of the pregnancy not being 100% positive of the true results? Granted, yes, if it came back positive, we'd have more time to plan and research on the potential disorder; however, we didn't feel that it was something that we wouldn't be able to handle if we found out on the day of delivery. We hope and pray that the baby is completely healthy with no abnormalities. But, if (heaven forbid) something is wrong with the baby, we're having it anyway and will love it forever. So, that's that. :)
The final part of the appt was finding out when we could come in for an ultrasound (where we can find out the sex of the baby!) That appt is set for November 17th! What else? I feel much, much better! That's big news! I'm still a little tired and definitely still hungry ALL THE TIME. But, the nausea has more-or-less subsided. Hallelujah! And, if you're wondering, I'm definitely "showing". Who in this world starts showing at 11 weeks? Apparently, me... That's really all of the major updates related to the pregnancy.
The last few weeks have been a little crazy. We've been on the road non-stop. We went to Orange Beach with my family (I included some pics below! We had a great time!). Then, we headed up to Missouri where my wonderful, wonderful Grandfather passed away. He would have been 93 years old Dec 25. I can't say enough great things about my "Pa Paw". It's a little too soon to really talk about it, but stay tuned for an upcoming blog posting dedicated to him.
On a happier note-keep your cell phones and email handy on November 17th! Until then, I'll be getting some major usage out of my newly purchased "bella band" (aka-a band to wear around the top of your pants so you can still wear them although you can't button them). I'd personally like to thank the creative genius who came up with this novel idea.
The whole fam
Nice tan lines
Who thinks that Maggie is excited to ride the Ferris Wheel?
Mom and Dad with sweet Hannah Ryan
Buddies :)


3 comments:
Dear Kami,
I am Ingrid, the person you wanted to thank for the BellaBand. You are welcome! The BellaBand saved several frustrated moments throughout and after my pregnancies. I'm thrilled I can share my little accessory with you. Here's a little secret for you...I see we both have a buddy named Maggie. My Maggie is my first born and the inspiration behind the BellaBand. My company is Ingrid & Isabel. Isabel is actually my daughter and her full name is Isabel Margaret. We call her Maggie after her grandma who unfortunately passed away before she was born but was a light in so many lives. Maggie blushes when I tell her the story behind the BellaBand, about grandma and what a gift she is to us all. We look forward to hearing your news on November 17th.
Best wishes.
Ingrid Carney
PS. It's the first time I've writted on a blog about the BellaBand. Feels slightly like jumping off of a diving board.
Kami-
PLEASE keep a journal of rights/wrongs/personal preferences and a file labeled "research" for when Jason and I are expecting. I cant wait for tales of the Bella Band and beyond.
love and miss.
xo
cg
Post a Comment