I have to say-although, I love reading my friends’ blogs, I was reluctant to create one. I mean-do I really want my personal life out on the internet for anyone to access??!?! But, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that I can always take it down if/when it’s necessary.
And, between now and then, we can keep our family and friends who live far away updated on what’s going on in our lives-especially with the new journey into parenthood that we’re about to embark on!
So, here it is-our first blog! Enjoy and please keep your expectations low.
Pregnancy, thus far, has been great. I find the whole process completely fascinating. Granted, I’ve been nauseous, had constant headaches, and am completely and utterly exhausted from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed…..BUT-don’t get me wrong-I know it’s all worth it.
And, I can’t say enough about how great Chuck has been throughout this entire experience. He is completely understanding when I say things like, “Babe, do you care if we just eat cereal tonight? Frosted mini wheats and frozen grapes are all I think I can stomach.” Honestly, Chuck has handled the situation so well and has been a complete dream thus far. I’m very blessed.
The latest: We’re currently at the 12 week mark. Now that we’re almost to end of the first trimester, I’m getting more serious about actually “planning” for this sweet baby. To date, I haven’t done a tremendous amount of work. I know…I know…most of my family and friends find that hard to believe that Ms Detail-Oriented hasn’t done much to prep yet, but really, I haven’t. I’m really trying to calm down on that front and just enjoy the moment. (We’ll see how long that lasts.)
Anyway, so far, all I’ve really done is read, seek out basic advice from friends, and go to my prenatal appointments. But, now, I’m actually getting more serious about potential names, nursery ideas, what I’m going to do about work (which, could be a complete blog in and of itself…we’ll save that for a later date), options for Mother’s Day Out /Day Care/Pre-school, etc. And, yes, before you think-Pre-School, already?! I know! It seems ridiculous. But, apparently, it is suggested that you get on waiting lists THIS EARLY. I’m like-come on, people! Our baby’s chin isn’t even fully defined yet! But, it is what is and I’ve been reassured that we’re not being too proactive. In fact, everyone says that we’re right on track with starting this planning now.
So, moving on…
A lot of people are asking how we told our parents that we were expecting. Although this is a step back from "current events", I do want to share. So, without further ado…
We really struggled on whether or not we would wait to tell people we were expecting until after the first trimester. It’s such a personal choice. After much deliberation (and obvious signs to our friends that we were pregnant-i.e. Chuck cancelling my 30th birthday party), we decided that we’d rather have our family and friends be aware and be around us as a support group in the event something “happened”. Besides, it is SO difficult to keep the most exciting news of your life a secret from those you love. Those who could keep it to themselves-I highly respect!
So, around week 6-we took the plunge. First were Chuck’s parents. Chuck asked them to go to dinner on a Thursday night. Which, was and wasn’t random. We go to dinner with his parents quite a bit. However, on a Thursday night?! Not usually.
Chuck gets a call late that Thursday afternoon. Ms Nan said that Bob had to do something with work so might not be able to make dinner. So, Chuck asked what time he would be done. When she told him, he said that we’d just bring over pizza to their house a little later. (We later found out that this made them a little suspicious, but we just couldn’t wait. We were going to tell my parents that weekend and Chuck really wanted his to know.)
So, we head to Franklin , get the pizza, and get Gabby ready. Yes, Gabby was the “messenger”. We head inside the house with Gabby waddling behind us with this big note around her neck addressed to “Nan-Nan” and “B-O-B” (nick-names). While Chuck’s mother just looked at it for a few minutes, trying to figure out what it was, Bob reached down and pulled it off. Hilarious.
There they read:
Nan-Nan and B-O-B,
This is a little note to share with you some news
In about 9 months, I'll no longer rule this roost
Mommy and Daddy are having a little one
They don't know yet if it will be a daughter or a son
Congratulations on your grandbaby to be
And, please oh please, don't forget about me!
Needless to say, they were excited! And, of course, Bob “knew it”! It was a lot of fun.
As far as my parents-Something had given me the idea of how to tell my parents. My aunt (my mom’s sister) sent me an email with a note titled “Birth Announcement” scanned and attached to it the day after Chuck and I found out we were pregnant. It was written by my Grandmother to my aunt and it said this:
9/1/78 My name is Kamber Ann Miller. I weighed 8 lbs and a half ounce when I entered this ole world at 6:14pm-Fri Aug 25th. I’m 20 ½ inches long. My grandma thinks I’m small-boned because I am dainty looking. I am a good baby. Hope you like my picture! I am 7 days old in the picture. My brother loves me. Wanted to give me his Freddie Bear.
So, we used this as inspiration. On Friday (the day after we told Chuck’s parents), we headed down to Savannah to see my family. Friday night, we went to Hannah Ryan’s 1 year old birthday party. We celebrated with family and friends. And, don’t fret, pictures are below.
The next night, as usual when Chuck and I come into town, we have dinner with my parents, Ryan, Andrea, Maggie, and Hannah. After dinner (at my parents’ house) we did my birthday cake (it was close to my birthday).
Right after Maggie, Hannah, and I blew out the candles, I looked at Chuck and asked him to show mom and dad what Aunt Jill had sent us. They read it and smiled. (My grandmother passed away not that long ago and I knew mom would like to read what she wrote when I was born.)
Then, I handed them both a card with a poem written on it. It said:
I don’t know my name yet and I don’t know how much I weigh
But, I’m due to arrive on the following day (April 10th, 2009)
My mommy and daddy are excited about me A
nd, I can’t wait to meet my Pop-Pop and De-De
It’s still very early so for me, please do pray
That I’ll be a healthy, little baby on delivery day
After that, lots of fun, hugs, and celebration.
On our way home that Sunday, we called all of our friends and shared the great news! We are thrilled to be entering this next phase of our lives. Thank you to everyone for your prayers and well wishes.
We are so blessed to have such a wonderful support system in family and friends. Will write more soon.
Until then-if you need to find me, I’ll be hanging out in my comfy clothes eating saltines and drinking sprite!
Gabby ready to share the big news with Chuck's parents
Nan and Bob finding out the news
Chuck with his mom
Hannah Ryan and Maggie singing Happy Birthday to me before we told my parents
My parents finding out the news
Chuck and I with the girls! :) Perfect end to a perfect day.






3 comments:
YEA!!!! I am so glad to have you in the blog world- I am going to LOVE reading about you and seeing pics, etc. Love and miss!
Woo-hoo! Welcome to the Blogosphere!! It was so great to see you this weekend, & I can't wait to hear more about this pregnancy!
xoxo
You know I'm excited for you both. I'm here for questions should you have any that arise. :)
Post a Comment