Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bitsy's Birthday Party Continued

FUN FUN FUN

I finally have a few minutes to sit down and write a debrief on Raegan’s first birthday party. Whew! It’s been a crazy few weeks!


I am literally going to type this as I would talk. The combo of having a new toddler, work drama (post on this later) and a variety of other things going on at our house (teething, more ear infections, and craziness in general)-posts from here on out will likely be less organized and more thrown together. I knew it would happen some time. Some time is now.


Here we go.


The Saturday before last, we had Raegan’s First Birthday party. With her trying to transition to one nap a day, I was worried about the time of the party (12pm), which was actually decided upon because, with her standard 2 naps a day, it’s typically a GREAT time for her. But, lately, she had been sleeping right through 12pm.  I was a little worried that she might sleep straight through her little shin dig. 

However, let me tell you-she woke up earlier than usual, went through her routine, was awake during 12pm, and could not have been more cooperative. She was in the BEST mood ever.


De De was there to help me, so after Rae nursed and while I was making her breakfast, she played with Rae. Then, she fed her, played some more, wore her out, and she was ready for a nap and was up before the party started. YAY!


I got the final stuff done for the party. Rae napped. Family arrived (and helped tremendously with final touches). Rae woke. I knew when she woke up chatting and singing that we were in for a good day. YIPPPPEEEEE.

Some of the decorations:

So much fun decorating! 

I used the pics that I have taken of Rae each month as decorations, attaching them to canvases and placing on the mantel.  In the foyer, I had one of my favorite pictures of Raegan in a frame I ordered from Etsy, a basket of iced lamb sugar cookies (favors for adults), the party invitation, and a stuffed lamb. 

I also had a few things set up on another table for momento purposes.  A matted frame to sign and some sweet little cards with lambs that had a place to put the guest's name as well as a birthday wish for Raegan.  And, since I knew I wouldn't be there to greet every single person upon arrival, I framed a little note from Raegan that said:

"Thank you so much for coming to my 1st Birthday Party!


Will you please sign a card, place it in the basket, and sign the picture frame too?
My mommy plans to put the frame in my “big girl” room one day. She is also going to make a Guest Book out of the cards you sign to give to me when I am older. That way, I can always remember this very special day and who was here to help me celebrate.

Thanks, again, for coming. It was so nice of you!
Love,
Raegan"

Chuck's friends made so much fun of me..."Raegan has such great grammar for a 1 year old".  Hardy Har Har. :)




Pictures of Chuck and me with our 1st birthday cakes


 
Nan Nan occupied her upstairs while we finished preparing for the party. Then, De De and Nan Nan tag teamed.  They got her dressed, fed, and then downstairs for some quick family pics before guests started arriving.  Ahhh...I love it when a plan comes together!
In her sweet (albeit obnoxious) birthday outfit, compliments of various sellers on Etsy.





Uncle Ryan coaches baseball and his team was playing in a tournament the day of the party.  He couldn't be there, but we understood.  We missed you, Uncle Ryan! :)


Everything was set out, Raegan was in a GREAT mood, and the doorbell started ringing. It was so much fun!!!!



The Easter Egg Hunt came (and went) pretty quickly.  I love watching children get so excited about something that seems so simple to the rest of the world.  Here are a few shots from the big fun!



I was able to take advantage of all of the Easter sales out there for decs and favors! Between Oriental Trading and HobbyLobby, there were lots of goodies for the little ones:


For the older kids, personalized bags for Easter Egg hunt, and goodies in cello bags: cotton candy with lamb wrapper, little lamb sucker, bunny bubble tape, play jelly, pastel hair clips for the girls and sports bubbles for the boys.

For the itty bitty ones, personalized buckets with rubber lambies for bath time. 

Also as favors (for all little ones), I filled cello bags with pink (for the girls) and green (for the boys) jelly beans.  Topped the bags off with favor toppers that I ordered from Etsy that featured a little lamb along with a poem that I wrote:
"The Easter bunny is on his way
So take these home with you today
To leave them out the night before
Just set them out by your front door
He'll be so excited about his sweets
He'll leave for you some Easter treats!"

I'm sorry, did I never mention that I love writing cheesy jingles?  Chuck is one lucky man.


I would have loved for Rae to be able to cruise around during the party, but there was just too much going on. It was gorgeous outside and even though the kids (and adults) were in and out eating their lunch and participating in a little Easter Egg hunt, it would have just been too chaotic to let her roam around. So, Chuck walked her around so she could visit everyone while I handed out pre-bagged lunches for the kids, awarded Easter Egg hunt prizes, served cupcakes to the kiddos, and cut the birthday cake.
 






Next: Gift opening.  Shame on those who didn’t follow the “no gift” rule. Believe me, your presence was your gift. Either way, we were and are beyond appreciative. 

By gift time, I’m pretty sure that I was sweating bullets. I had been running around non-stop the entire time. It was still a lot of fun to watch Raegan with her presents. She was such a trooper, letting a few of the other kids (mostly her favorite cousins-Maggie and Hannah Ryan) help her with unwrapping.





Here’s another video. Chuck got this one. Again, no editing. My favorite part is when she cuddles with her new giraffe pillow that her friend, Brooklynn, got her. She loves to LOVE on stuffed animals and toys.





Those are really the highlights.  I truly loved preparing for it. It makes me happy to make things special. I really wanted Raegan to look back and see how much effort that her family and her friends put into making her First Birthday Party such a special event.


Granted, the most important thing was that she was healthy, happy, and surrounded by family and friends. The fact that the weather was GORGEOUS and that we are blessed enough to throw in lots of details were merely just pluses.


We feel so lucky to have been able to celebrate a year of the biggest blessing that Chuck and I could have ever imagined. There was so much love in the room. THAT, by far, surpassed any flower arrangements, iced sugar cookies, or birthday banners. Thank you to all of our family and friends who were able to join us. To all of those who live, or just happened to be out of town that day, you were definitely there in spirit.

Enjoy some final pics!

Post Party

Playing with all of her new fun toys

Sandwiched between her two boyfriends, Rinks and Graham.
Thoroughly enjoying her first encounter with...dum da dum dum: SUGAR

What a great day

1 comment:

Courtney and Jason G. said...

Dear Raegan,
I loved coming to your first birthday party. It was so cool to see you smash your face into that cake! My mommie won't lete do that yet....
You got some neat presents and those things hanging from the ceiling were awesome! Also, your pop is so fun. He played with me all day.
I hope you get to come see me in Jackson soon!

Love,
Graham