Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Food Review

If you aren't my mom, my dad, my mother-in-law, or my father-in-law, you might want to stop reading this right now because this post will likely be beyond boring to you.  

Here's the deal, I really want to document Raegan's reactions to different foods.  I feel like it's just one of those little things that will be easily forgotten.  That makes me sad as it's one of my first experiences at learning Raegan's likes and dislikes.  So, this is my attempt at preserving those memories. 

I've divided up the main categories for her reactions.  They are:

"Yummy"








"Not Quite Sure"




"Gag (literally)"








We'll start with the fun stuff:


Yummy
  • Bananas: Raegan's favorite!  She loves these.  That is, until it's time for the final stage of digestion.  Unfortunately, we have to limit her intake. 
  • Prunes: Another favorite!  She loves the ones I prepare for her as well as Earth's Best.  Thank goodness she enjoys these...it makes the first bullet much more tolerable. :)
  • Mangos: These run a close second to bananas.
  • Peaches:  Really likes these (not as much as mangos) but she's definitely a huge fan.  I typically mix these with cereal to keep them from being too sweet. 
  • Apricots: REALLY likes.  While I couldn't find fresh apricots or frozen (without tons of additives), I did find some that were dried without sulfites (which was important because I'm allergic to some sulfites so we have to tread carefully). Even with adding water, the purees from these and the prunes  are sticky and thick.  But, Raegan doesn't care. 
  • Carrots: Raegan LOVES her some carrots.  She likes Earth's Best okay but really likes mine.
  • Apples:  Really likes.  Don't all babies?  We have to be careful with her intake of these too...I've learned, though, how to incorporate them with other foods that she doesn't necessarily love.  This motivates her to eat the less-than-desired foods.
  • Sweet Potatoes: Big fan.  Add a little cinnamon and she's smacking her lips!
  • Acorn Squash: She really, really likes...more than butternut squash.  When I mix the two and maybe even add some pumpkin (which she doesn't LOVE by itself), she cleans her plate.
  • Cereals: Could eat and eat and eat.  But same as with bananas and apples-we have to be careful.  I typically mix in a little juice (apple, pear, apple/prune, etc) or add some fruit.  When I add blueberries, she is a happy, happy baby.


Not Quite Sure
  • Butternut Squash: Doesn't seem to love or hate. I typically serve it with something that she already has an established love for.  When she eats it by itself, we get mixed reactions.
  • Pears: So, she didn't like these at all at first.  Then, she loved them (which, I attributed her change of heart to my altering the texture by pureeing longer).  Now, even with the texture she appreciated before, she doesn't know what to think.  Sometimes, she gobbles them up.  Other times, she makes this face and just moves the food around in her mouth.  I'm thinking that her reaction is dictated by the level of ripeness.  By the time I figure it all out, we will likely be way out of the puree phase. :)
  • Green Beans: This is an odd one.  Some days, she hates.  Others, she eats.  Maybe she's just really, really hungry on the days that she eats them.  I'm pretty sure that one of the gag pictures is post bite of green beans. 

Gag (literally)

  • Avocado: I think it's pretty safe to say that this is her least favorite.  I find that avocado is an aquired taste with most people anyway.  If I mix just a little with bananas, pears, (or any other food that she really likes...even just a little of it)--she gobbles it up!
  • Yellow Squash: Same as above. I didn't do enough research about this one before I made and froze it.  It is super watery once it thaws.  I tried mixing it with cereal to thicken it up, but no luck. There are times that she tolerates it, but only when mixed with other veggies.
  • Peas:  I'm about to give up on these.  We have been working on this one for weeks and I still can't get her to eat them without mixing with carrots.   I will say that she likes mine way better than Happy Baby, Earth's Best, or Jack's Harvest.  Awwwww yeeeeaah.
  • Broccoli: This is a new one but I have a feeling that it might remain in this category.  The first 5 times, we ended up with more on her bib than down her throat.  We may have a nice little trick, though.  Mixed with apples, she'll tolerate. 

Next on the list:

Asparagus, papaya, cauliflower, kiwi, white potato, and bean purees...some meat (which, I have opted NOT to make), and even a few finger foods (pasta, cheerios, cheese, and cereal puffs). 

I can hardly wait to watch her scrape the tray trying to pick up finger foods with her chubby, sticky hands. 

Thanks for tolerating my journaling.  I vow to make my next post more interesting.  Well, maybe not my next as that one will be Raegan's 8 mth update.  The one after that-be prepared for some fascinating stuff! ;)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I tried to make Kenendy's meat once and that was it! We buy the baby meat!

Reagan is just adorable!